Forums

Login Required

Please login to participate in the forums.
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 07/13/2016 7:46 AM by  Jen
What to do if I feel faint?
 5 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
LoraJanae

--
06/09/2016 12:10 AM
    I'm new to Sunstone, I've attended yoga classes in the past (it's been a few years) and I was always fine, but I had always steered clear of hot yoga. I took advantage of the first class free offer & tried a barre class earlier this week, and passed out. Which was a real bummer, because the class was really fun and was kicking my butt, which I need! We had finished up with planks and stood up to go to the barre, and I just got this horrible head rush that got worse and worse the longer I stood up. After a few seconds I had completely lost my hearing and I couldn't feel my legs (I'm assuming my vision went too, but I can't be sure because the room was dark for glow barre (such a fun idea!) so I couldn't really see anyway.) I decided to step back and sit down before I totally collapsed, and the instructor was super sweet and helpful, she checked on me several times and brought me a wet towel with ice, which seemed to help quite a bit. I also chugged water the whole time I was on the ground. I felt a lot better after a few minutes and stood back up and tried to rejoin the class, but after about 10 seconds everything had gone fuzzy & I had to sit down again! I repeated this cycle a couple of times, and when the instructor asked if I needed to leave the class, I figured I probably should. Another teacher came out of the room with me and made sure I was okay (seriously, I cannot say enough about how totally awesome the ATC staff is!) I've passed out before, and I get headrushes from time to time whenever I hop up too fast, so I'm pretty familiar with the process, and normally I can take a few deep breaths & lean on something for a minute & it will subside & I'll be fine. But for the life of me, I couldn't make it go away this time, until I got out into the air conditioning.
    Now, to be fair, I am NOT great about drinking water. I had about 20 ounces of water that day before class, (which is probably more than I had had in the past three days combined), and I probably should have planned a more protein heavy lunch, or eaten some small snack about an hour prior to class. Also, I am a complete and total weenie, I have never been very physically active...which is why I NEED classes like this in my life to make me work so much harder than I'd ever push myself on my own!!

I'd like to try at least one more time, and I'm trying to figure out what I should do to try to prevent passing out next time. I solemnly swear that I will drink SO much more water before coming to class again, I'll try to eat something slightly more substantial than salad, and...? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I bring ice? Wet my hair prior to class (my mother's suggestion, not mine, just throwing it out there! )

And I guess my primary concern is, if I can't hydrate enough to keep from passing out, what is the best way to handle it if it happens? I don't want to disrupt the whole class or create a ridiculous scene, I don't want to distract the teacher...I'm fairly certain that I'm not going to die, I'm just a weenie who's used to living a sedentary lifestyle in the comfort of air conditioning. So as instructors, how would you prefer someone like me deal with their issues? Should I leave the room if I can't see/hear/stand, or should I stay and just sit or lie down? If I have to leave and feel fine after five minutes in the AC, should I rejoin the class or would that be too disruptive? I don't want to ruin everyone's class experience just because I'm having a rough time...Also, would the protocol be the same for every class or are there some classes where a disruption would be worse than others? Please advise.
    Emily L Smith
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06/16/2016 12:37 PM
    Hi Lora,
    My first thought is definitely the water intake. You can sweat out a liter or two during a class, so 20 ounces is not NEARLY enough to keep you hydrated. You should be drinking 100 - 150oz per day during the summer while also practicing in a heated environment.

The dark room could have also been more disorienting in that 1st class.

If you begin to feel slightly dizzy, lay down on your mat and breathe. It's OK If you spend half of a class (or more!) just laying there!

Try taking a Hot Yoga Lite class, it's a slower pace than Barre to allow your body to acclimate to the heat.

For the food, yes have some protein at lunch. Make sure you're not eating lunch and then having nothing else until 7pm if you're taking an evening class. Have a snack about 2 hours before the class, perhaps a banana with some almond butter or something to fuel your body.

It can be a bit trial and error, some people need more or less time to digest snacks.

Please be patient with yourself and let us know if you need anything! Feel free to give me a call if you want to chat more
    Emily - Sunstone Alliance
    682-990-0800
    Jen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06/18/2016 4:27 PM
    Hi, LoraJane!
    I am very glad that you brought this to light. I have a feeling that many of us have some degree of this issue in the warm room and/or just in life. I am one of those, as well. All of the things that you listed as possible preventatives are perfect places to start; and probably many of the recommendations we would also give as teachers and practitioners in the warm room.
    To this day when I take a 90-minute Yoga Calm (fka as Water) or Hot Yoga class, I always feel faint in our second set of separate leg forehead to floor. When it happens, I simply put my hands on the floor until the feeling begins to pass and I roll up slowly and rejoin the class as I'm able.
    Often I will have a banana about an hour before class, or a Luna bar or health/ptotein bar of your choice. Just enough in my stomach for my body to have some fuel, but not enough to make my body work hard in digestion while I am in practice. After 1 hour of eating food the body is distributing that food throughout the body. After 2 hours of eating, the body has completed digestion and distribution, and is using that fuel for energy. This is why they say it is best to eat two hours before practice. However, I often like to practice in the morning, and I don't get up early enough to eat two hours before my practice. So a very light, high potassium/protein snack is usually a good idea. And yes, lots of water the night before and within the hours before your class is imperative. You might try a Smart Water before attending your hot classes. I don't think they are necessary all of the time, but in and around a practice where we are expending a lot of water, they replenish you quickly.
    I would recommend a Yoga Core class because they are less dynamic and high strength-building classes, as you are building up your strength and stamina in the warm room. They are in the 90-degree room, so you will still sweat a great deal, but not as much as in the hot classes or the classes where we are doing a lot of aerobic activity, like Barre. Maybe a Hot Yoga Lite once or twice a week, to help the body acclimate to the humidity. The 90 degree classes are quite cooler than the 98.6 degree classes, but I think the sweating is one of the great contributors to our light-headedness, and we still sweat a lots because it'S 60% humidity, so build up slowly with classes that have less fast movements, until your body and you have learned your own best ways to replenish yourself. A cold water bottle under the arm is a great way to lower body temp while letting yourself remain in the room.
    So lastly, "to leave or not to leave?" I think your first tactic would be sit or lie down on your mat until your recover, and then get up slowly to rejoin. If the issue persists, certainly, as in the case you described, you were unable to continue and enjoy the class, and no one will hold it against you if you need to exit the room. That said, if you are not feeling physically ill, and simply need to sit or lie on your mat, benefiting from the warm and humid environment, while taking long inhales and exhales, that actually cleans the blood and burns a few calories all by itself!
    The Hot Yoga, Hot Yoga Lite and Yoga Core, however, might be just what you need to tone without getting too much cardiovascular activity to regulate your breathing and feeling of steadiness. Pilates is another class that works a lot on core at a faster pace with music, but most of it is on the floor, so there would be less opportunity to get dizzy. So once your are ready to challenge yourself more, that might be a good option.
    Best of luck to you! What a great attitude you have! That is more that half the battle! Left us know how things change!
    EnJOYfully, Jen Wanamaker, PWP
    LoraJanae

--
    06/29/2016 1:09 AM
    I tried barre again & made it through the whole thing! Thanks so much for the tips, I drank about 80-90 oz of water throughout the day before class, and another 30 or 40 afterwards. I also ate a snack bar about an hour prior to class. Felt a little bit of the head rush sensation a couple times during class, but I just took a minute & a drink of water to get through it, and it passed! I also took it easy on the exercises where you're face down on the mat (planks, push ups) since that seems to make all my blood rush to my head.
    All in all, SO excited that this is something I can actually DO! The class was fun & challenging & I'm looking forward to going to classes on a regular basis & building up my stamina! My goal is to eventually be able to go at least 4-5 times a week. Wish me luck!
    LoraJanae

--
    07/12/2016 11:35 PM
    2nd update, I've been to about four more Barre classes now, and one Pilates. I was doing two or three classes a week, with at least three days in between classes. I've been drinking tons of water every day, and I haven't had any issues up until today. This week I decided to attempt to do four or five classes, which means several back-to-back days of practicing. I went to pilates last night and felt fine, but tonight in barre I had several moments where I started to feel dizzy and overheated. I was able to take a few minutes here and there to just breathe, and I made it through the class without having to sit down. Emily at ATC had suggested an electrolyte replacement, and I came home and took one...I'm hoping if I'm careful to eat enough & use the electrolyte tabs that it'll be enough to get me through four days of classes in a row. Does anyone else find that they struggle after a few days of classes back to back? Any advice on certain foods that will boost my stamina? Or should I just take a day off to rest here and there?
    Jen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07/13/2016 7:46 AM
    I am so excited to read this! Great news! Thank you for reporting back.
    Take care!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

About Sunstone

• Our Purpose To provide an environment where people can connect with and cultivate their very best self.
    • Our Vision To become one of the world's most influential fitness associations who transforms the very idea of fitness from isolated physical activity into an integrated body, mind and life practice.

Get in touch

(214) 764-2119